Monday, October 9, 2017

Connection First




Before I can innovate, I must create the environment and cultivate the relationships with my students that allow them to move forward to become innovators. Create the place. Create the atmosphere. Create the relationships.

A few things I have considered and put into place before taking the next step:

*Reach out. Show my students that I can be trusted. Allow my students to see me taking risks and being vulnerable on a daily basis. They deserve a guide that has them as their #1 interest. It may be tough, but I know when my students step out on a limb to create and innovate they know I will be there for them at every attempt.


*Reflect. What am I giving my students?
The questions I have to ask myself include:
*Do they feel safe?
*Do they feel heard?
*Do they feel seen?
*Do they believe I value them as contributors in our classroom?
*Is our classroom learner-centric?

Honestly, some days can cost more than I have to give. However, I don’t give up. I pour and I keep pouring because I know that classroom life depends on these relationships. My students depend on me to lead them to wonder, explore, and become forward thinking innovators. They depend on our relationships.


*Restore- I have to take care of myself, so I can continue to give my students what they need to become innovative thinkers. This past August, before my students showed up for a new year, I had the privilege of listening to Adam Saenz speak. He reminded us that as teachers we should check our dashboard light that reminds us when we need to be filled up. This dashboard light should be checked often throughout the year. He spoke about the power a teacher holds. The power to make a difference. I realize that my students need me to be present not only physically, but also mentally. I must be mentally prepared to take them on this journey.


*Empathy. Put myself in my students shoes. What do they need? Give them hope. Give my students the vision to see what they are capable of and what they can accomplish when provided the tools and environment. Build them up. My relationships with my students sets the tone for the atmosphere in which they will learn.


"Individualizing education and starting with empathy for those we serve is where innovative teaching and learning begins." -George Couros


It takes courage to let go of where I am and reach for what is ahead. I hope to give my students the same courage.

Now we have the connection and are ready, ready to be innovative, take risks, wonder, and create.

-LL

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments system

Disqus Shortname