Sunday, April 9, 2017

I Learn.

"I Learn. This is not reserved for our students. We must all be learners." -George Couros
 
The past six weeks I chose to be the learner. The #IMMOOC journey has been nothing less than eye opening. I have had a complete shift in my thinking. My classroom has become more student driven--more of their voice and less of mine.

Over the past six weeks of IMMOOC, I have made a conscious effort to activate powerful learning experiences for my students. Most recently I took a Big Business/ Industrial Revolution project that is written into the curriculum and took all boundaries out of it. Choice was already written into the assignment, but I left the door open for students to take it where they wanted. My students more than impressed me! I could feel that students felt empowered with this project. The final products represented what my students were interested in, not what I told them to be interested in. The variety of projects ranged from digital projects using Sway/ Venngage/ Prezi/ Powtoon all the way to Legos/ Zoobs/ cardboard/ paperclips/ Strawbees. The word "no" did not exist in my vocabulary for this project. The oil, steel, and automobile industries came to life in our classroom. Students felt empowered and I could hear the buzz. This one little project left our classroom yearning for MORE!

I look forward to using my knowledge to allow for my students to experience better and more intentional learning experiences. My students have/will benefit from my learning and change in mindset. I encourage others to read The Innovator's Mindset by George Couros and challenge their own mindset.
"Embrace the challenge and see it as an opportunity to move forward." -George Couros




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments system

Disqus Shortname